Monday, November 29, 2010

On Running in Place.

I was working out today, and when I finished the prepackaged workout, I felt something was missing. Yes, my muscles were sore, but my heart wasn't pumping hard, I wasn't breathing heavily. So, I stood up and ran, and ran, and ran--never moving more than an inch or two from my original location. I stood there, running, looking at my reflection in the refrigerator. It struck me; this is exactly what I do in my life SO often. I run in place. No, I am not inactive, which is good, but I am not going anywhere. I get all the pains and aches of running, yet I never seem to move forward.

Why do I never learn the lessons? Why doesn't God just move me forward already? I pondered these questions, and then I began to think--"well, why am I [physically] running in place, right now? Why is this important?"

I want to be stronger. I want to build my muscles so that when they are challenged they will be able to answer the call.

Thinking of it that way, it all makes sense. God is preparing me, my spiritual, emotional, and intellectual muscles for the purpose for which I am called.

Just as I would fail miserably if I attempted to go from my untrained status as a non-runner and leaped headlong into running a marathon--so too would be my fate if I skipped the preparation period God is putting me through as he trains me to be a runner for him.

And only He knows the challenges that lay ahead of me, my spiritual and emotional muscles may yet be underdeveloped, so I must be patient and allow Him to grow me.

No comments: