Monday, November 29, 2010

On Painful Healing.

This week I was busy trying out a new craft idea, cutting away with a cheap pair of scissors, when a metal bur from them embedded itself in my finger. I don't know how many of you have had metal slivers, but they are very painful. They are sharp so they slice through your skin like a little knife when they get bumped.

It was sticking out of the skin on the surface and appeared to be something I could easily remove myself. But each attempt caused so much pain, and ultimately left the sliver in place. I tried tweezers, I tried Elmers Glue, I tried duct tape, I tried masking taping, I tried pinching and pulling....everytime I touched the area, in an effort to remove the sliver, I caused myself pain. It hurt just being in my finger, it hurt when it was touched....

(and you know what? The sliver remained in place until I quit trying and let someone else do it).

While attempting to get it out, a thought crossed my mind.

This is how it is, with the things in our lives that do not belong. With our own plans, our own dreams, our hurts...our stubborn sins we hang onto, our self-reliance. They hurt us just by being IN our life. They do not belong, they are a foreign object, with sharp edges. Life bumps and bruises us, pushing these slivers of the soul deeper in, causing us additional undue pain...

So, it makes sense to just get rid of them. To let them go, right? However, the letting go, the removal of these sliver is painful too. We have to be prepared to endure the temporary, more extreme, pain caused by the removal of these slivers. We have to come to a point of realization that for healing to ever occur, we must surrender to the Healer, and let go of our soul slivers.

There is pain in the Healing. But as one who has allowed the sliver to be removed, I can testify that once healing occurs, nothing is better--no bandage to cover, no garment to hide, no pain killers or brave face.

True healing is worth the pain.


No comments: